One of my favorite visuals when I visit San Francisco are the trolleys and street cars. When I rode a street car for the first time a few years ago, I didn’t realize that they were largely retired cars purchased from eastern cities like Newark and Philadelphia.
There seems to be a bit of a renaissance toward light rail service in many cities given their reasonable economics and limited pollution among other advantages (such as fun). This has likely been a result of the swing towards urban residential development, especially in former commercial districts and class b and c office markets. The credit boom fueled demand for residential housing in downtown markets and more need for public transportation.
With the recession, credit crunch and falling tax collections being experienced in many urban municipalities, I wonder if the opportunity for light rail expansion is already past. Transportation is always a key consideration in urban residential housing market.
Man, I love trains.
[New Urbanism Watch] A Streetcar Named De-Leverage
You Should Also Check Out This Post:
- Cindy Crawford's Malibu Home Makeover Now on the Market
- Choosing the Best Annuals for Your Garden
- 3 Steps to Styling a Nursery That Grows With Your Child
- Michael Jackson's Neverland on the Market for $100M
- Before & After: Basic Master Bedroom Gets a Zen-Inspired Makeover
More Active Posts:
- 2 bedroom Villa/Bungalow for Sale in Manipal, Udupi ( #9579362) (3)
- Residential Plot / Land for Sale in Mangaon, Raigad ( #3010867) (2)
- 3 bedroom Apartment (Multistorey) for Rent in New Town Rajarhat, Kolkata ( #6704207) (2)
- Residential Plot / Land for Sale in Mukteshwar, Nainital ( #4964021) (2)
- Residential Plot / Land for Sale in Oragadam, Chennai ( #4918986) (2)
- 4 bedroom Apartment for Rent in NGEF, Bangalore ( #9640899) (2)
- Residential Plot / Land for Sale in Baghpat Road, Meerut ( #8916539) (2)
- Washington Report: New Consumer Financial Protection Agency (2)
- Foreclosure Poses Danger To Economy (1)
- Study: Foreclosure Affects Children, Too (1)